History of the Sandbridge Beach Business Association
The third year of the organization’s existence proved to be another successful year. Several new members joined and community projects created in previous years were funded.
- Completion public/private trash & recycling project
- Funding and distribution of Pet Waste Bag Dispensers
- Sponsorship of the Sandbridge Civic League- Oktoberfest
- Wine Bar Sponsorship of the Sandbridge Rescue Squad Annual ‘Pig Pickin’
- College scholarship administered by SBCL
Membership as of December 31 = 32
Going into 2015 the membership is committed to continuing with our community projects with the maintenance of the recycle cans at public access ways and sponsorship of community events. The association is also focused on the Nimmo Parkway extension project which is in its infancy stage of development with the City of Virginia Beach. It is important that we keep in front of city officials to keep this project moving forward and work with the community to bring as much awareness to this critical improvement to our infrastructure as possible.
The second year of the organization’s existence was memorable with a 20% expansion of membership, a second revision of the Bylaws and various successful community projects. These included:
- A public/private trash & recycling project
- Acceptance in the Clean Beach Coalition II Blue Wave Beach” certification program
- Funding of Pet Waste Bag Dispensers
- Sponsorship of the Sandbridge Civic League Oktoberfest – Wine Bar
- Sponsorship of the Sandbridge Rescue Squad Annual’Pig Pickin’
- Sponsorship of the Sandbridge Paddle Fest
Membership as of December 31 = 26
As the organization continues to solidify its presence, City staff along with residents of Sandbridge have sought input and support from the group on multiple issues. With the inclusion of a revised “Associate Membership” provision in our Bylaws, it is anticipated that the organization will continue to grow and make a difference in the successful future of the Sandbridge community.
The year ended with a wonderful Association Christmas party hosted by Siebert Realty, Resource Building and the Baja Restaurant. Members present enjoyed fellowship, delicious treats and the continued satisfaction of making a difference in the Sandbridge community.
An initial meeting to discuss the formation of an organization, goals and objectives was held March 14, 2012 at the Sandbridge Island Restaurant. Following this meeting, several additional meetings were held to develop a Corporate set of By-Laws, Budget and solicit potential members.
On June 4th, 2012 the Sandbridge Beach Business Association was officially formed again at the Sandbridge Island Restaurant during the organization’s first meeting. Through a cooperative effort of Business Owners servicing the Sandbridge area, the purpose of the Sandbridge Business Association is to promote a positive business environment that contributes to the community and economic vitality of the Sandbridge area.
The group established the following initial goals:
Health & Safety
- Designated bike & jogging Lanes
- Beach access improvements
- Create fitness trail
- Mark channels in North Bay
- Promote off season events
- Promote Back Bay Fishing / Hunting
- Seek City participation in Special Events (ie: fireworks)
- Create more recreational amenities
- Promote animal friendly community
- Clean beach
- Additional trash containers / corrals
- Provide opportunities for civic sponsorships
- Aesthetically pleasing entrance
- Expand parking opportunities (in agreement with Civic League)
This first year proved to be very productive towards accomplishing the goals set forth. A joint meeting with City staff and The Sandbridge Civic League solidified the City’s commitment towards Beach access ‘– improvements and a beach cleaning schedule starting the summer of 2013. In addition various ideas were raised regarding City sponsored entertainment opportunities at Little Island Park. Subsequent to that meeting, the City recognized the Association as a valuable voice for the Sandbridge community along with the Civic League.
During one of our fall meetings while strategizing community enhancement projects, Cathy Seymour presented the II Blue Wave Beach” certification program which recognizes coastal beach locations that foster environmentally responsible leadership and involvement. On further review of the criteria and process, the Association voted to apply for consideration which will be determined during the spring of 2013. Another project that the Association sponsored, was the placement of Dog Waste Bag dispensers at the 3 new Beach access points. They will be installed after the beach replenishment project in May, 2013.
The year ended with an outstanding Association Christmas party hosted by the Baja Restaurant. Members present enjoyed fellowship, delicious treats and the satisfaction of making a difference in the Sandbridge community.